This morning I was watching the news, and they did a segment on the EXTREME heat wave in Dallas, Texas. Several deaths have occurred because of the high temperatures. Right after I finished saying, "I can't believe I'm moving there in three weeks" I had one of those crazy pregnant hormonal breakdown moments and immediately BURST into tears. It's really not THAT tragic that we're moving there...I think it was just the hormones. But do wish me luck surviving 112 degree weather with high humidity and an oven in my stomach (and apparently my feet too...? Why are they always burning hot now?! How does a baby do that!?).
So my main pregnancy craving has been REFRIED BEANS. Weird huh? Maybe it's my body telling me I need more protein. But not just any refried beans. I would never just open a can and eat THAT stuff. No, I crave my mother's HOMEMADE refried beans. Mmmm. So good and so easy. I make them all the time. Here's how you do it:
Refried Beans:
Cook about a half of a diced white or yellow onion in a little bit of olive oil on the stove until tender. Add about a 1/2 t. minced garlic and 1 t. chili powder. Cook for a minute. Drain and rinse a can of pinto beans. Add to frying pan. Add chicken broth (I just eyeball how much...). Simmer for a few minutes until beans are tender enough to mash with a potato masher (if they look dry, add more chicken broth). Top with lots of cheese!
Texas... I can't believe it's already 3 weeks away! Where has the summer gone? I'm so glad you posted this recipe for Refried Beans; I always want to make them when we have a Mexican dinner, but the canned kind are horrible!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that you're moving in three weeks! The heat in LA has been killing me, and it's nowhere close to 112! Make sure you blast the A/C-gotta keep momma and baby safe! I've been thinking about you lately.I hope you are feeling well and doing okay! love your guts!
ReplyDelete