Ellery has gotten MUCH pickier lately. Here's the thing...she eats ALL morning long. Typically I give her her own breakfast, share mine with her, and give her snacks all morning. I'm okay with this because she usually eats pretty healthy in the morning (cheerios, oatmeal, bananas, blueberries etc). And she eats a LOT.
Then she usually eats two lunches, both pretty small (one before her nap and one after). They are more like small snacks, but I'll call them lunch.
Then she's hungry by 3:30 or 4, so she eats a good snack then because she can't wait until dinner.
But then she never wants dinner. And she won't eat anything unless it's something junky or sweet.
That's when she's picky.
The doctor told me NOT to make her something else (to only give her what WE are eating. Otherwise, let her go hungry...if she's hungry enough, she'll eat what we are eating). I agree with that, but it is really hard! Tonight we put our foot down about it and she whined at the pantry all evening. I kept trying to offer her the broccoli soup we ate for dinner, but she wouldn't have it. I wasn't going to give in, but then she found some cheerios that I had in a container where she could reach...so she ate cheerios for dinner. I am not loving this picky phase!
Should I be doing something differently?! Even if we are eating something she likes for dinner, and she does eat it, she doesn't usually eat much for dinner. So my guess is that her body tells her to eat a lot in the morning to save up energy for the day, and then she doesn't need much at night.
Ideally I could have what we are all eating for dinner ready by 3:30 when she's hungry, so I could give it to her then, but I never have dinner ready by then. But she should be eating with us, anyway, right?! And I really need to make more veggies for lunch and snacks (typically we only eat veggies for dinner...I know, I know...).
She's happy to feed daddy dinner
mmmm maple bacon donut
Ellery loves to take everything out of the fridge and put it somewhere else. haha. This is a favorite game. Although, I'm not sure it's a game to her. She takes it very seriously.
"Would you like some BBQ sauce with that camera?!"
Nothing better than a big glass of milk!






Jayna isn't too picky of an eater. I've always made her eat what we eat, BUT I've noticed a marked difference in her after I bought some 'sectioned' plastic plates. She loves having options presented to her, so her main course in one section, fruit in another, veggie, etc. she's also really into bribes...ha. Don't worry too much, I'm sure she will grow out of it soon!
ReplyDelete