Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thailand

Finally blogging about our trip! We took a million photos, so it was slightly overwhelming to edit and pick which photos to share. I'm still probably sharing too many (sorry!). Anyway. Here's a little recap of how our week was in Bangkok:

We had a 20 hour trip over there. yuck! We survived though (thank you airplane movies!). We had a layover in Japan, so now I can kiiind of say I've been to Japan hah.

Our first day there was a Sunday, so we didn't do a whole lot (plus we were still jet lagged). We mostly just chilled and played games and slept. We went to the grocery store to stock up on food for the week. We went to a restaurant that night and I threw up : / But surprisingly, that was really the only time I got sick the whole week! Probably my best week as far as pregnancy sickness goes. Even since we've been home I've been throwing up a lot more. So I'm grateful that my one good week was in Thailand! Here is what our first day there looked like:

 Dad drinking coconut milk straight out of a shaved coconut at lunch ^

 Shrimp chips at the grocery store. yuck. Yet, these were purchased and consumed by certain members of the family...




Doesn't that octopus look appetizing?! ^

On Monday we went to several palaces and temples. It was WAYYYY too hot and humid for poor pregnant Kara. I don't do so well in that climate normally, but especially being six months pregnant. I'm a trooper though and I went along anyway. They were pretty cool temples. SO ornate. Here are some photos:

 The Taxis in Thailand are pink!

 This is how we waited for the Taxi ^

 In one of the temples.




 They made us put on these skirts and pants to cover up our legs before we could enter the temple.






 This picture is super zoomed in. They climbed really high! ^

 I didn't attempt to climb it. Wouldn't want to fall down those stairs!

Giant Buddha

After going to see all the temples we went and got traditional Thai massages. My mom called it "Thai Torture." Most of our group thought it was too intense. I think my lady was really easy on me because I made it clear that I was pregnant. So I enjoyed my massage!

Tuesday we went to some floating markets. It was pretty neat! We got in little boats and floated down a river that had venders all along the sides (some in boats some on docks). Photos:


 Clay bargaining with a vendor to get a Thai hat



 Sometimes the vendors would pull our boat in with their pole hooks! ^







 Mango with sticky rice ^




After the floating markets we rode elephants:

 This one is getting a bath! ^

 Aaron and Clay on an elephant

 Elephant show

 I was slightly scared of them! They're so  BIG.




They were tickling McKenna! She loved it. haha.

Wednesday we went to the Tiger Temple!:








 a monk reprimanding the baby tiger for acting out!




 The monks run this place. They just hang out with tigers all day long!


 The family with our taxi driver. He thought we were pretty funny : )

 View from a fancy schmancy restaurant we went to on Thur.


 After the restaurant we got to go to the fish spa and have our feet cleaned by little fish that feed on dead skin! So cool. It tickled and felt like a vibration. Our feet were SO SMOOTH after! baby feet.

View from our hotel room ^

The last two days we didn't do a whole lot because it's the rainy season there and it rained HARD the last two days of our trip. We were glad we did a lot in the first few days! And also glad we brought a lot of games to play in the hotel. Overall it was a great trip. Too hot and too humid. Most of the food was pretty sketchy, but we did have a few great meals there. It was neat to see another culture so different from ours. It made me very grateful to live in the USA! You can see more pictures here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recap and pictures! What a great vacation! I think that I would have really enjoyed sticking my feet in with the fish. The animals looked exciting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! Those fish look weird, yet I bet it was so cool. Also, the tigers are my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete