Monday, March 26, 2012

Act As For Years

Clay and I have no idea where we are going to be in two years.
We have no idea where we'll be two years after that...


“To me, the Lord is telling us to be where we are. Have an attitude as for years,” Elder Ellis said. “Accept a calling, make friends, get to know the area. Be there until you’re not."

I thought that was such great advice. We probably won't be here in Dallas forever, but that doesn't mean we should live like we're leaving soon. We should live as though this were a more permanent place and the people we meet are permanent. What a difference that could make in our lives and in the lives of others around us. We should treat our home as if it were our home, not just a cramped apartment we won't be in much longer. We should make real connections with the people around us, because even though we will be moving, it is so easy to stay connected these days and it is so important to make connections and friendships.

3 comments:

  1. Kara-Thanks for sharing this! I totally need to do this better. I'll have to go look up the talk now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Kara... I wish I had read that when we first moved here. It's taken me so long to come to adopt this motto on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness. I so needed that wisdom! I've definitely been acting like a visitor in my current ward/living situation, and it hasn't made for the best of times. "Be there until you’re not." I love that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete