Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Caution and Charity

Last night as I headed back to my apartment after taking out the trash I noticed a young man sitting right outside our apartment door on the stairs. He asked if I smoked cigarettes. I said no, and then he asked if I had a water bottle he could have. I said yes, went into my apartment and got one, and brought it out to him. He told me he was waiting for a ride and then asked if I had a dog. No. He said he thought he heard one coming from my apartment. Without really thinking, I told him that was probably my baby he was hearing. Sometimes she sounds like a puppy dog. He asked how old she was. I told him, and then as I'm sure I looked leery and started heading back for my apartment, he thanked me for the water bottle and told me to thank my husband too. As I shut (and double locked) my front door behind me, I had mixed emotions and thoughts go through my head. I felt bad for the poor guy, sitting in the cold, thirsty, and maybe hungry too. I thought about inviting him in until his ride got there (thankfully, Clay was home). But then I thought about Elizabeth Smart and how her mom had kindly invited a stranger in who ended up kidnapping her daughter. I hate that I can't just be charitable all the time because I have to be careful. Especially as a woman. Especially as a mother.

1 comment:

  1. I totally relate to this! I hate it! I wish that I didn't have to worry so much if someone would hurt me before I thought about how I could help them.

    ReplyDelete