Update: I called her doctor's office and talked to the nurse about her reactions. She said that unless she's having trouble breathing, or something along those lines, she's probably okay. Some people just react more to bug bites. Wear bug spray, use Benadryl when she does get a bite, and watch her closely for any signs of the reaction being more than just red, swollen and itchy...
Ellery woke up the other day looking like Will Smith in the movie Hitch:
Ellery woke up the other day looking like Will Smith in the movie Hitch:
It all started with a bug bite? We were playing outside the other night when I noticed Ellery got a bug bite on her eye lid (I also noticed that I had just gotten a couple of bites on my legs as well, so I'm sure it was a bug bite). That night it just looked like a normal small bug bite, but the next day it looked like this:
And then that night it looked like this:
So we gave her some Tylenol (we didn't have any Benadryl on hand).
But the next morning she woke up looking like this (and even worse. the pictures don't do it justice, I swear):
She couldn't even open her eye. Poor baby.
Isn't that the saddest face you've ever seen?!
She actually didn't seem too bothered by it, surprisingly. She only rubbed it when we pointed it out. And she was only really sad in these pictures because first thing I did when she woke up was stick a camera and a flash in her face.
I went and got her Benadryl that morning and it helped a tiny bit, but not much.
But fortunately she woke up the next day looking like she did on the first day, and now it's all better.
So I'm thinking she may be allergic to mosquitos! Or whatever bug it was? Her bites always look TERRIBLE. Much bigger and worse than the average person's. My mom pointed out that if she has bad allergic reactions to bugs, she could have a terrible one to a bee sting. Yikes. And a friend of mine suggested getting her tested for allergies. Yes? No?

I would go have her tested pronto. She will get many more bug bites this summer. (As I'm sure you've seen, Texas is full of bugs. Lucky us). Better to know what to watch for.
ReplyDeletePoor little puffy eyed baby! Remember that time Michael was at your house playing with Kirk and his whole face swelled up from Boy? It is so sad, but so pitifully cute!
aw, what a poor baby. I would probably get her tested, just so you don't have to worry.
ReplyDeletePoor baby!! What a sad little face! So glad she is all better
ReplyDeleteI told Clay that Caleb swelled up horribly to ant bites and mosquito bites (ant bites were definitely worse). We learned to put anti-itch medicine on right away and start the Benadryl. It's something that he has grown out of though. Now when he gets ant bites or mosquito bites, they only get slightly puffy. It's not fun to watch your kids go through tough stuff!
ReplyDelete